Friday, September 14, 2007

Writing is addictive

Writing is an addiction. If you've ever written something that received someone elses' attention, you are hooked. The need to write something else that gets commented on, or read by someone else is your spur to write more.

It almost doesn't matter if the response is complimentary or uncomplimentary, it's the heady rush of "hey! someone READ what I wrote!". That's what gets you hooked.

Now that I think about it, I may be MORE excited about someone who disagrees with something I've written about than with someone who compliments me on what I've written. Reason being, when someone disagrees, you can pretty well bet they've read at least most of what you wrote. They usually quote you on a sentence or two and nearly always take your salient points to refute, all of which tells you they read on a more than cursory level, and with some degree of depth, your entire piece.

The complimenter on the other hand, can be pretty empty with their words. You often don't get that indication that they read past the opening paragraph or so of your composition. (reminder to self to include some points upon which I agree or note some particular turn of phrase used in writings I want to compliment).

So, disagree away with me. It serves to spur me on to greater literary (cough, cough) heights.

è¿é

No comments: