Friday, September 14, 2007

I'm frightened....

Like Dorothy, when she was locked into the witch's castle and the hourglass was emptying of sand, I'm frightened -- oh, Auntie Em! I'm frightened!

My daughter-in-law called this afternoon with the news that my son was taken to the hospital after suffering a stroke. Not words any mother wants to hear, let me tell you! It turns out that they (in all thier innimitable wisdom) THINK he had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). They've run a battery of tests from a CAT scan to an MRI and other than a "shadow" they saw on the MRI, they cannot find a cause of this.

He had all the classic symptoms of a TIA -- disorientation, slight paralysis of his left arm, blurred vision, inability to process a thought chain, but no apparent cause. His blood pressure was (and is) normal, he's not overweight, he's in his mid-thirties, normal range of cholesterol and otherwise very healthy.

He did have an incident a few weeks ago with his knee which has since been bothering him and he was scheduled to have an MRI on that later this month. I'm wonderfing if he had a clot break loose, but surely "they" have covered that base.

No mother who loves her son could be more worried than I am right now. Do I go or wait? I'm waiting now to hear back from my daughter-in-law if they released him to go home.

They say no news is good news, but right now, no news is just leaving open space for the brain to conjure up all kinds of worst case scenarios. You know what those would be like?

Pray for him and his family.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

è¿é

No comments: