Monday, June 25, 2007

Amazing People

As is my habit, I was listening to NPR radio and an article they were airing about a contest in California for Braille readers. While the contest in and of itself is mildly remarkable, the woman who won it fired my imagination.

The winner, Claire Stanley, says she wants to major in law and eventually become a politician in Washington, DC. When asked how she became blind, she matter-of-factly reported the facts. Her complete acceptance of her condition (I will not call it a handicap as her blindness apparently has NOT handicapped her at all!) is not only inspiring to those of us who have no "condition", but her goals and clear-sighted advancement towards them is inspiring!

I only wish I had half her "gumption"! What an admirable lady and one whom I expect to be hearing about again in the future.

è¿é

No comments: